[lbo-talk] The atheist delusion

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 3 17:19:11 PDT 2008

Mike Ballard wrote:

> IMO, unlike sex, religion is not genetically driven; it's a social construction, as all ideologies are social constructions.

Correction: As is almost anything humans do or think or experience a social construction. Someplace (in CI I think) Marx has a sentence about hunger as biologically driven but still profoundly different when eating with a knife and fork and when eating under some other condition. Ditto shitting. Ditto sleeping. And ditto sex. All respond to biological necessity or biological drive or whatever, but all are more usefully regarded as social constructions in any given determinate historical context.

Carrol ********

Ah yes, but the biolgical need to be curious and to create, which to my mind does exist, is not the same as the claim that religion is genetically programmed into the human species--hard wired to be religious. History shows that almost everyone was religious before the "knife and fork" of say the science of physics was created. In the here and now, there are many non-believers in the world.

Mike B)

The carbon atoms in your body were forged inside a star somewhere, billions of years ago. http://www.myspace.com/ballardoso

Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address. www.yahoo7.com.au/mail