[lbo-talk] Butler

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Jun 4 06:00:13 PDT 2008

Fundamentally, heterosexuality is not an 'urge.'

^^^^^ CB: I'm saying that for some, many, it is both an urge and cultural. Both. Note I say "some". I would guess it is the majority because the instinct for having fertile sex is likely to be selected for, because fertile sex is so fundamental to reproducing a species, to species perpetuation. This is biology a, b, c.

Its a set of knowledges and institutional structures that structure society. It operates in legal structures, the pedagogy of public school, etc. It also should be noted that it is a fairly contingent structure in the long duree. Even the conventional notions of sex, gender, and marriage (to take a few examples of discursive structures) of today would be deeply alien to earlier conceptions of those institutions (if they even existed.)

^^^ CB: I'm not talking about marriage or gender. I 'm only talking about sex.

Structures of the long run. You know Levi-Strauss , eh ?

^^^

As to the question of biology, Butler deals with this question in the book to an extent (see pages 107-111 in the first edition). This primarily draws from the work of Ann Fausto-Sterling. The work looks at the way that cultural assumptions effect biological claims on sex and gender.

^^^ CB: Would you reiterate her argument, por favor. ?