[lbo-talk] Butler

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 4 10:14:40 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 12:29 PM, Seth Ackerman wrote:
>

>> she wants us to strictly abjure any attempt to talk about
>> extra-discursive sex
>>

> Why do you want to talk about it? Why does it matter so much that
> you'd invoke a Holocaust denial analogy?

What kind of argument is that?... I wasn't the one who started this thread - you're the one who posted the Butler text. I'm just responding to it.

I brought up gas chambers not because sex is so grave a matter but because I suspect that people who hold the Butler position lack the courage of their philosophical convictions. If they really think it's unfounded to refer to anything extra-discursive and should limit ourselves to references to discursive constructions of things, does that view extend to those aspects of (okay, I'll say it) reality that they think are really important? If not, why not?

Seth