[lbo-talk] Butler

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 12:37:29 PDT 2008

About Charles brown's writing of "thirst [being] abated by the _material_ [sic] impact of water in the digestive and circulatory systems" -- that reminds me of an incident a couple of weeks ago where I asked a friend for a cough drop. Simple request, simple transaction, no? Think again!

Rather than just hand it over, the person proceeded, before relinquishing the cough drop, to explain to me what a cough drop was, how it works, why it works, and what's in it. I was blown away. It was a regular hall's cough drop.

I have probably been taking cough drops since the age of 5 or 6. "John [fake name for protection], do you think I'm an idiot? i know what a cough drop is..."

I told the person they would make some some kid an excellent grandpa some day: "Now see, here, this here's got your menthol-eucalyptus in it. Know what that does? Well, I'll tell you what it does! That alleviates your congested feelin' and allows the nostrils to clear up, like so [sniffs heartily], and that in turn lets the oxygen into your lungs," etc.

There is a lot of academic writing that seems a cousin to this kind of thing.

-B.

Charles Brown wrote:

"A thirst thought can only be abated by the _material_ impact of water in the digestive and circulatory systems."

Doug Henwood wrote:

"No kidding. Do you think Judith Butler is a moron or a psychotic?"