[lbo-talk] Butler

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Jun 4 13:01:28 PDT 2008

Dennis Claxton

>It is hard to tell whether she denies that biological instinct plays
>a role in shaping sexual "identity" or "desire" in humans. whether
>it is completely determined by culture.

In the passage Doug quoted Butler gives you and others the reassurance you apparently need so desperately.

^^^ CB: No not desparate. This is a part of a pattern here of Butler fans imputing desparation or some other emotional upset to her "interlocutors" that they don't have. You seem to be the ones getting upset. I'm calm as can be.

^^^

In anticipation of the difficulties people have reading Butler I'll point it out. It's the part where she says "yes, that concession invariably occurs."

>Although at this moment I want to offer an absolute
>reassurance to my interlocutor, some anxiety prevails. To "concede"
>the undeniability of "sex" or its "materiality" is always to concede
>some version of "sex," some formation of "materiality." Is the
>discourse in and through which that concession occurs-and, yes, that
>concession invariably does occur-not itself formative of the very
>phenomenon that it concedes?

If only her interlocutors were as respectful to Butler as she is to them.

^^^^ CB: Frankly, what she says above is not a crystal clear answer to the question. And you and the others seem to avoid answering the question using the terms in which the question is posed , which , of course , would be the clearest way to answer the question. Why is that ?

As to my expressing some kind of inappropriate disrespect for Butler , sorry, I don't agree. My questions, criticism and discussion have been with adequate and customary respect. So, I reject your implied criticism.

It would be very helpful if you all would discuss this without all the references to "stupidity', "moronics, "you can't understand" , "you disrespect her", "you make her point and don't know it", what I would characterize as "histrionics on the manners of discourse" ( sorry). We are just as smart and just as polite as you and Butler are.