[lbo-talk] Butler

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jun 4 16:15:19 PDT 2008

Perhaps villification is too strong a word. But I take her to be saying that the body is an empty bucket that we pour meanings into. While I don't disagree that there's historically shaped social conditioning, it's saying too much to say that it's empty.

There is, remembering Orwell in 1984, something that revolts at the smell of stale cabbage, even when you are told that it's only under the advanced state of communism that such delicious cabbage can be.

Joanna

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>