[lbo-talk] The Note on Obama @ AIPAC

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 5 10:33:15 PDT 2008

In the election of 2000 the candidate who said he favored a "humble foreign policy" and condemned Clinton-Gore interventionism became president, and we got the attack on Iraq. In 2008, will the candidate who says he was "against the [Iraq] war from the beginning" become president -- and bring us the attack on Iran, which he's been in favor of from the beginning of his run for the Senate?

(On 25 September 2004, the Chicago Tribune wrote, "...the United States should not rule out military strikes to destroy nuclear production sites in Iran, Obama said ... 'having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear weapons is worse [than] us launching some missile strikes into Iran...'")

I don't think we can simply ignore Obama's announced intentions. Nor can we assume that the conditions won't obtain. One of Israel’s leading historians, Martin van Creveld, wrote recently in the International Herald Tribune that he didn’t know if Iran is developing nuclear weapons but if they’re not, they’re crazy -- given the differences in the way the US has treated Iraq and North Korea.

The US wars of the 20th century were all started by Democrats. Will Obama reassert that great tradition, over against this recent Republican interregnum? --CGE