[lbo-talk] Butler on Butler

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 11:31:33 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, you may have, but did you understand it? I read
> the Divine Comedy when I was 13 and thought it had
> cool demons and tortures and stuff, but understand it?
> I didn't have the educational background to do so.

Some of it yes, most of it probably not. I did enjoy it. And I thought that I understood it at the time. And any relatively ambitious teenager can read many such works and get a lot out of them. I probably had a better experience of "The Divine Comedy" than you because I had portions of it read to me when I was young by an old man. He was an Italian and also read many of the Cantos in the original. I thought they were horror stories.