[lbo-talk] Butler on Butler

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 5 11:49:05 PDT 2008

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Jerry Monaco writes:
>
> Even in
> the most difficult portions of Capital I could read it with enjoyment at age
> 14.
> Very precocious. I was just out of the Hardy Boys at the same age, when I
> stumbled across the Lanny Budd series by
> Upton Sinclair, my introduction of a sort to left-wing politics.

For a year or two at that age I was a Sinclair-enthusiast, and (for quite a while) I took much of my pre-ww2 history from the Lanny Budd stories. A book I remember reading with both pleasure and serious frustration was _Folklore of Capitalism_ -- I can't recall the auhor's name just now but he was an official in FDR's justice dept. I've never reread it so I can't say now what the dfoncepts were that I couldn't quite wrap my head around (e.g., paraphrase in my own words).

Carrol