[lbo-talk] How does the structure change ? Dialectic of dialects

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 5 13:37:14 PDT 2008

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 01:06 PM 6/5/2008, Charles Brown wrote:
>
> >Last year Butler won the first prize in the annual Bad Writing Contest
>
> Fucking hell Charles. That bogus contest was suspended for lack of
> interest ten years ago. Shouldn't you at least point that out if
> you're going to drag it in here?

Considering both various comments on Butler AND various comments by posters on other posters in this thread, I would like to resubmit an argument I developed nearly ten years ago, namely that discussions of style are a serious form of ad himinmen except when the critic AGREES with the substance of the text being criticized.

Carrol