[lbo-talk] Naturally organized sociality and symbolically organized sociality

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Jun 5 15:06:17 PDT 2008

Because that's what Levi-Strauss is arguing, and when you engage in the argument that there is this kind of social symbolic, whether through Levi-Strauss or through Lacan, you are pointing to this kind of argument. The feminist argument (the tradition that comes out of Rubin) has consistently argued that this naturalization is in fact a way of naturalizing certain social structures of power. This isn't originated with Butler, but it is continued in her work (while being critiqued and examined itself. For this work look at the Wellek lectures, Antigone's Claim, which has the longest engagement with the argument in her work.)

robert wood