[lbo-talk] Butler

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 6 06:44:46 PDT 2008

Because we are always already engaged in collective action and because that collective action in the world is prior not posterior to any awareness of self, our thought emerges from rather than captures an extra-mental reality, so the question of being never arises. Being is a mystery, a subject for deep philosophical investigation, only in Maggie Thatcher's world, the world in which society doesn't exist, only individuals.

This, ultimately, is the attraction of various forms of fascism to 20th-c intellectuals: Pound, Eliot, Yeats, Heidegger. They want community, but they want a community made up of abstract (self-determining) individuals, and fascism seemed to offer that.

Carrol