[lbo-talk] Butler

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 10:03:44 PDT 2008

Miles Jackson:

> Well, I agree that the notion of performativity
helps
> us to understand sexual identity; does Butler really

> disagree with that? I've read most of her stuff,
and > I don't remember her making the claim AN attributes
> above.

"We cannot simply throw off the identities we have become, and Foucault's call to 'refuse' these identities will certainly be met with resistance." [...] "Called by an injurious name, I come into social being, and because I have a certain inevitable attachment to my existence, because a certain narcissism takes hold of any term that confers existence, I am led to embrace the terms that injure me because they constitute me socially. The self-colonizing trajectory of certain forms of identity politics are symptomatic of this paradoxical embrace of the injurious term. As a further paradox, then, only by occupying - being occupied by - that injurious term can I resist and oppose it, recasting the power that constitutes me as the power I oppose."

- _The Psychic Life of Power_, pages 102 and 104