[lbo-talk] Butler

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 11:48:49 PDT 2008

Miles Jackson:

> Umm--these quotes support what shag and I are
> saying,yes?

Butler's position in the quoted passage is *pure affirmation*, not critique.

That she brings performativity to bear upon sexuality is irrelevant.

What interests me is that Butler, contra Foucault, embraces sexual identity, rather than seeking to negate it.

I see a parallel to Foucault's position in Moishe Postone's in _Time, Labor, and Social Domination_.

The proletariat is a category constituted by capitalism. The proletariat qua proletariat is therefore not the negation of capitalism, but an essential component of it.

Those of us constituted by capital as wage-dependent laborers must therefore *negate* our status as proletarians, not seek to affirm it.

Butler's position allows for all sorts of Social Democratic mischief.