[lbo-talk] NYSNA vs. SEIU1199

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 14:53:58 PDT 2008

NYSNA is a weird hybrid creature, not even a "professional union" like the CNA, but rather a "professional association" that includes a union. The rest of the association is open to everyone in the correct profession, including RNs in management. When NYSNA disaffiliated from United American Nurses, and hence the AFL-CIO, the vote was cast by its board of 13, 6 of whom were not union members.

If I didn't buy the Trot line against state intervention in the labor movement, I would advocate a ban on such mixed organizations having the power to bargain collectively. And while I don't think raids are a good use of any union's limited resources, I would certainly never trust a cross-class "professional association" to represent my class interests, or those of any worker, at the bargaining table.

More on this thoroughly confusing arrangement from a highly ironic source:

http://www.uniondemocracy.com/UDR/161-Four_state_nurses_associations_quit_AFL-CIO_union.htm