[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Butler

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sun Jun 8 17:06:04 PDT 2008

Although Dwayne has already expressed this better than I will now, I think one of the ways that this 'bad writing' trope has been constructed is through the 'gotcha' quote. Take the Guattari quote for instance, I have no idea what work Guattari has done to set up those terms put them into a set of discussions, etc. Maybe it is incomprehensible nonsense, but I couldn't give you a meaningful answer without looking at the context. I think that what you say is true for Derrida and Heidegger, but I don't think that it works as well for Foucault. On the other side, I have regularly heard that Kant is actually more easily understandable in the English translations.

As to your second 'source,' I don't think that the process you are describing is neccessarily an inherently negative one. For instance, Camus' novels are influenced by the sort of stylistic innovations of American detective fiction. The production of style draws from sources with more promoscuity than acknowledged here. As an extreme opposite example of your point, Hitler's prose is invariably helped by translation. There are some hidden assumptions about translation contained in here. Translation is inevitably something else, but that 'something else' is not inevitably a lesser version of the 'orginal.'

robert wood