[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Butler

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon Jun 9 09:39:36 PDT 2008

>>> "Dwayne Monroe"

What I've yet to read is a criticism which truly takes Butler seriously, wrestling with the text -- yes, 'interrogating' the text -- asking basic questions such as what problems is she describing? What solutions (if any) does she offer? It always seems to come down to variations on: 'I don't get it' 'Let's talk about some other thinker who's better. How 'bout Heidegger?' 'I haven't read any of her books but I read a paragraph and...' 'Why can't she write more like that guy who writes so well?'

Over and over again.

.d.

^^^^^ This sounds fair. I just want to point out , however, that I know there is plenty of discussion of Butler's writing style, I have never complained about Butler's language or writing. I have asked questions and raised criticism of the content of her thinking, _not_ complained about her writing style.

The following challenges the content of her thesis, not her writing style:

Does she hold that there is no heterosexual biological instinct in any humans that contributes to some people's heterosexual identity along with the cultural shaping of said identity ? Will any of her followers answer this question using the terms in the question ? If the answer to the question is "yes", then I disagree with her for the following reasons...( see previous posts)

(When this list started, we had a list seminar on one of Butler's books, _The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection_ It only went for a while, but some of us read the book , and discussed it here.) http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/1999/1999-January/000610.html