[lbo-talk] Butler is not a classicist

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 13:41:03 PDT 2008

Jerry wrote:

>Butler's charms are in fact pretty resistible. Just read her very
>uninformed and quite ignorant essay on Antigone. If she were a graduate
>studying the classics I would never let her graduate.

Butler writes:

"I am no classicist and do not strive to be one. I read Antigone as many humanists have because the play poses questions about kinship and the state that recur in a number of cultural and historical contexts."

>Quite frankly reading her Antigone essay was a little
>like seeing the construction of a con game. Yet people who want to puff
>themselves up or don't know better allow themselves to be conned.

Heh. And you're not puffing yourself up at all by saying you would have flunked Butler and that anyone who reads her is a mark who needs to be wised up?