[lbo-talk] Marx on the transience of crises

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:06:45 PDT 2008

As merely an empirical observation: the left (when there is a left) has never, for 200 years, achieved substantial strength and brought about real change except during the recovery period from some sort of crisis. This has nothing to do with the left's message or its competence in delivering that message. Wonderful speeches are wasted in empty auditoriums, and only during periods of chaos do people on their own initiative drift within hearing distance of a left voice. Otherwise it is only a trickkle, never enough to have grat social impact.

The first impact of an economic crisis is to send everyone scurry8ing for individual salvation and only a few under those conditions will be attracted to collective struggle. Probably, however, an existing local left group could/should increase slightly its size and its experience. But when even an illusory recovery begins, then there is always the possiblity of real advance. It took ten years or more of economic growth for the black movement to really get underway, and everything else in the '60s was an outgrowth of that movement.

Carrol

Michael Perelman wrote:

> Actually, an impending crisis should be a signal for radicals to bear down & get to
> work to be able to make a contribution during the chaos.

How? Get to work doing what? With what resources?

Carrol