[lbo-talk] Butler is not a classicist

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:23:59 PDT 2008

shag wrote:

> must be why Jerry's so incensed. heh.
>
> I found this amazon review interesting and the title a giggle coz maybe the
> author has fantasies like Chris Doss. ha:

If that summary is even remotely accurate, then Jerry is right that Butler should be embarassed.

But this bringing in of other books by butler rduces the whole thread to rather uninteresting gossip about Butler the person and is another of the many ad hominems, beginning with WD's "criticizing alienated (physical) labor without ever having, e.g., worked on an assembly line does seem a little odd" and Doug's defensive response with the silly reference to "the guilt of an intellectual talking here" then shag's and Dennis's offensive references to Jerry's pedantry, . . . .then Jerry introducing "style" (i.e. hidden motive) to the criticism of Butler -- every one of these and many others simply make discussion of actual substance more or less impossible.

Carrol