[lbo-talk] Butler

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Jun 9 18:12:19 PDT 2008

> On
> Why is it funny? It is rather amusing that you can quote the footnote but
> not deal with the paragraph that it is a postscript to.
>
> '"For instance I think if you look behind the ontology of the very notion
> of
> "discourse" in the way most post-moderns use it, you will find behind it
> an
> assumptions about the "irreducibility" of language, an assumption never
> spelled out (implicit in Saussure) because at base there is no reason for
> making it. (Also see postscript below for more on the troubling notion of
> "discourse.") The notions of language that underlie "discourse" (and
> meaning
> within language) are taken as-if they are a separate ontological ground or
> reality. This is simply a conclusion that is never concluded or even
> stated
> explicitly. (Quite frankly these notions of language are in practically
> every single paragraph I have read of Butler.)"

Jerry, you've made a number of claims about the ontological assumptions of Butler (that have not been quite the same thing). However, I have not seen any evidence for these claims. If they are in 'practically every single paragraph" it shouldn't be all that hard to come up with a place to provide that evidence. I hate to use the same kind of rhetoric that I use with my composition students, but this feels like a much more elaborate and intellectually sophisticated version of 'clearly.' These would have to be the kind of textual engagements that Dwayne Monroe mentioned.

The other substantial problem that I have with the line of argumentation that you have engaged in is the way that 'pomo' keeps getting thrown around as if it meant something. The set of authors you are discussing are involved in very different projects, projects that are often actively antagonistic to each other (for instance, it was well known that it was forbidden to attend both Lacan and Deleuze's lectures.) Any attempt to create a coherent whole out of this political contestation is going to wind up being a mess, and more fundamentally, a misreading of the authors involved.

The only intellectually consistent version of postmodernism that I have really come accross has been Jameson's which make a claim that it is a common cultural condition that a variety of thinkers are trying to negotiate at a variety of levels of mystification. But this 'postmodern' is a very different beast than the one that you are talking about.

Last, although I haven't read the wellek lectures on Antigone, I remember them primarily focusing on how the story has been taken up in philosophical discourse to understand questions of the law and of symbolic intelligibility. Most of it is an engagement with Irigiray, Lacan, and Hegel, and the gaps and problems in their readings. Is there some problem with that work that you could identify more specifically? Without that, the claim of 'incompetence' and 'con game' are kind of empty claims.

robert wood