[lbo-talk] Butler

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 21:38:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So much emotion! I feel like I'm witnessing the
> academic equivalent of one of those nerd "which would
> win in a fight, a Star Destroyer or the starship
> Enterprise?" debates.

I think these days the question is: space people or cave people? And the answer always is: what is the contest? What is the context? If it is violent contest, do the space travelers have guns? Do the cave dwellers have clubs? But why assume violence? Perhaps it is a story telling contest, or a a dance competition, or trying to stump one another at riddles. Perhaps the groups will try to drink one another under the table, or exhaust one another sexually...