[lbo-talk] People today just don't have the work ethic they usedto!

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 10:59:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> P.S. In a recent thread "auto mechanic" was given as an example of
> "manual labor"; granted that job usually requires, incidentally, quite a
> bit of manual effort, but it should be primarily listed as mental labor
> -- and this has been the case since the earliest days of the auto.
> Computerized systems in cars are reducing but not really eliminating the
> intellectual demands of the job.

When I refer to a job that isn't brainwork I sure as hell don't mean auto mechanic, or any trade off the top of my head. It's not even a blue/white collar distinction. Actually what I have in mind is more along the lines of old night shift computer operator jobs, ones where you're submitting batch processing jobs (in the computer sense). Things can get ugly if something goes wrong, but most of the time it's pretty rote. I imagine most security jobs are like this most of the time.

-- Andy