[lbo-talk] People today just don't have the work ethic they usedto!

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 10 17:45:13 PDT 2008

As someone who works on cars (both old and new) as a hobby I can tell you the job of auto mechanic is as difficult on anything new as it is on something old. Modern computerized systems still don't always give an accurate diagnosis of what is wrong with a vehicle. If the engine management system gives a code for a faulty speed sensor it's easy enough to replace, depending on the make and model, but if all you get is a code for lean condition on bank one sensor one you can't just replace that sensor because that isn't the problem. You have to find the cause of the lean condition. Working on my '60 Edsel is much easier than working on my friends '04 Mustang but the skills needed for one don't always transfer to the other. Old time skills like pulling and reading plugs haven't gone away but skills like carburetor adjustments are fading fast at large garages. It's a ten minute job to replace the battery in my Edsel but a thirty minute job on a Chrysler Sebring. I'll be dead long before auto mechanics are semi-skilled electronic parts replacers if that ever happens.

John Thornton