[lbo-talk] Butler on feminist theory/queer theory

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Tue Jun 10 16:52:49 PDT 2008

That interview was from 1993 or so, and the Routledge Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader she mentions includes Gayle Rubin's article "Thinking Sex," which stakes out a claim that radical study of sexuality should be distinct from feminism. Rubin says that on the basis of the anti-sex positions many (or most?) feminists were taking in the 80s. I think Rubin's article is fantastic--well worth reading--though I agree with what Butler says in that interview that it would be a mistake to separate radical studies of sexuality from feminism (though I see why Rubin might have thought it necessary to do so around 1990). Beyond this, I don't know exactly what Butler had in mind when she said that queer theory could sometimes be anti-feminist (but maybe Rubin's article was all she had in mind).

While I'm dipping my toe into the discussion: Did I miss it, or did no one respond to the argument someone made here that Ahmadinejad's claim that there are no homosexuals in Iran is basically true, on Butlerian and Foucaultian grounds? I hope someone responded to that, because it seems pretty ridiculous to me. When people in his audience at Columbia U. (where I think he made that claim) burst out laughing, I think their laughter might have had more to do with a liberal U.S. audience's assumption that homosexuality (and heterosexuality) are transhistorical, universal, etc. But nevertheless it seems ridiculous to claim that Iran (a country with at least a history of a Westernized middle class) is so culturally isolated that there really are no homosexuals (i.e., people who identify as homosexuals). Are there no leftists either, or liberals, or fans of Harry Potter, or of punk rock?

--Chris