[lbo-talk] Congress may not extend unemployment benefits for 3.8 mil US workers

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 19:27:26 PDT 2008

[So much bad economic news lately it's hard to keep track of it all. In the 100 degree weather where I'm at, I've noticed people seem a lot pissier and more prickly lately, or something. Customer service reps, panhandlers being more aggressive, snarky tones in folks' voices, impatience. Maybe it's just me. Honestly, things look like shit from my perspective, and I have this strange sense of massive, unquantifiable, anger among everyone I meet these days. -B.]

==========

>From an AFL-CIO action alert-type thing:

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/congress_extend_benefits/xweseb64977i3dnb?

Please act now to urge Congress to extend unemployment help for jobless workers whose benefits are running out. It is urgent that you take action now.

Unemployment just took its biggest jump in 22 years, and the number of jobless workers who can't find work is at historic levels. Millions of jobless workers will run out of unemployment insurance benefits this year. And for every two job seekers, only one job is available.

But President Bush is so committed to his failed economic policies that he's promised to veto any attempt to extend unemployment insurance benefits for working families on the brink of disaster. Believe it or not, here's his policy: "Increasing and extending unemployment insurance benefits when unemployment is this low would be unprecedented and counterproductive because it would reduce the incentive for workers to find new employment."

Talk about out of touch! With soaring gas, food and health care costs, even a short period of unemployment can devastate a working family. But the worse this economy gets, the longer it's taking people to find jobs. And working families are suffering.

The U.S. House is expected to vote today or tomorrow on extending unemployment insurance benefits for jobless workers by 13 weeks nationwide and by an additional 13 weeks in high-unemployment states—a move that will benefit 3.8 million workers overall. Congress must hear your voice. Tell your representative NOW to extend help for jobless workers.

Thank you for taking action today to help 3.8 million workers.

In solidarity,

Working Families e-Activist Network, AFL-CIO

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/congress_extend_benefits/explanation