[lbo-talk] heterosexuality?

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Thu Jun 12 00:30:07 PDT 2008

Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] hetersexuality? To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org, lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Depends on what you mean by "biological basis". If by basis you mean something like explanation or theory, well then it is obviously there in evolution. Heterosexuality is part of the mechanism for reproduction.. Tahir

You end up with what I think are absurdities in socio-biology like looking for a queer gene.

The path I would be interested in following tries to locate the brain control constellation that connects say various hormon systems and their production, and the general emotive affect.

Tahir: Oh come now, don't be silly. I only said that there must be some basis for heterosexual behaviour otherwise evolution must have been impossible. Whatever it is, it must exist as a tendency for heterosexual behaviour; it doesn't even imply that heterosexual has to be the dominant tendency, although I suspect that that is the case. The very existence of male and female in more or less equal numbers suggests this. I have no doubt though that this tendency can be 'overdetermined' by environmental factors. What the underlying biological mechanisms are I have no idea, not knowing much about biology at all. But one does have to at least start from some sensible premise, that without heterosexuality no homo sapiens period. If you can do the research to shed more light on this all power to you. It'll be a damn side better than the pomo discourse on the subject. Tahir