[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] how about a floor under gas prices?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Jun 12 08:33:45 PDT 2008

well, my presumption is that right now, if you try to introduce talk about a permanent $2 tax into mainstream political discourse, people will come after you with pitchforks.

instead, what i am proposing is that one take advantage of the current price rise to institutionalize current changes in behavior, and use taxation and stockpiling to guarantee that a politically feasible portion of the current price rise will, in real terms, be permanent.

another way of putting it: i think there is a social benefit in squashing the notion that prices will ever return to their previous low.