[lbo-talk] Heterosexuality?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 12 09:42:18 PDT 2008

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> I am very
> interested in this general subject or interface: sexuality, human
> culture, social construction, evolution, biology, neuroscience... and
> just about other place we could locate for information, insight,
> etc...
>
> When I was wondering around the `innate' and `heterosexual'

> concepts, what I am doing was a kind of preliminary
> check-list. I am trying to narrow this broad conceptual realm
> into some biological constellation of features or phenomenon of
> the human animal that is concretely accessible to biological
> methods. Lots of stuff is going to be left out.

Here is a general problem I have with _all_ propositions re biology and human conduct. They are all tautological. We are biota (right word?). I have no doubt that in some cases the tautology may be made useful rather than banal, but that should be a primary effort of anyone writing on this general subject. This even extends to particular features: A neurological explanation is also apt to be tautological, though in that case it is (perhaps) easier to make the tautology useful.

This tautological feature of such propositions is perhaps a sub-division of the case of universal propositions: If they apply to everything then they don't apply to anything in paricular.

Carrol