[lbo-talk] Samantha Power gets her ass kicked

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Thu Jun 12 09:44:47 PDT 2008

This speaks to my pet peeve on how anti-war types saw off the limb on which

they sit by accepting malignant first principles.  Somebody has to blow up the

first principles.  A few, along the lines of the post, are:

1.  Iran must never get nukes.

2.  The U.S. must militarily dominate the world.

3.  The U.S. must have a "forward" basing strategy

4.  The U.S. is the intervenor of last resort in re: humanitarian crises around the world

5.  Leaving Iraq would leave somebody bad (insert Sunni, Shi'a) in charge

6.  We should only invade places with the support of the U.N./the West/the nation

BHO's invocation of the "last best hope" cliché of course plays right into all this stuff.

I haven't listened to the debate yet, but dissecting it is a very useful exercise,

since some well-meaning anti-war liberals look to these people as "the change we have

been waiting for."