[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 10:01:44 PDT 2008

Okay, so basically everyone (who's responded on LBO-Talk) thinks it's okay that McCain gets over $50K per year in untaxable, taxpayer benefits for being "retired" and "disabled" (not my words, the government's) even though he is a millionaire (on his own earning's, not his wife's) -- but, nonetheless, *is* married to a multi-, multi-millionaire beer heiress, and has 8 homes, etc.?

Maybe I am victim to some reflexive, reactionary way of thinking here. But I mentioned the "McCain gets $50K+ per year for being disabled" to my girlfriend, who knew nothing about this, and her immediate, possible reactionary (???) response was, "John McCain gets over fifty thousand a year because he says he's retired and disabled, but he is running for President and is a millionaire??"

So, is that kind of gut-level reaction just not the right to perceive this...?

Now, maybe it is wrong and PLAYS INTO THE HANDS of some reactionary trope. Joe Schmoe on $30k a year getting disability checks is one thing. But, honestly, falling-into-the-clutches-of-right-wing-thinking though-I-may-be, it still seems counterintuitive, screwy to me. Maybe he could donate that $50k to the Social Security trust fund? Or, something...? (Not a church, please.)

McCain's injuries are from his time as a POW, being physically abused (notice he has limited use of his arms), it is said.

He also had his teeth replaced, or something, but he has had socialized medicine since birth not privvy to it while POW, though), and all these problems have been dealt with at taxpayer expense, not to say they do not cause recurring emotional or even physical problems. Bt i thought, by definition, "disability" mean well, it *dis*-abled someone from, say, doing X-Y-Z, when McCain, if anything, is one of the more able folks one could imagine seeing in our society.

-B.

Jenny Brown wrote:

"So what are his injuries from? I agree with you about the disability payment, the moment you start means testing you bring in a new level of burden to prove you're eligible."