[lbo-talk] hetersex instinct

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:36:37 PDT 2008

Human beings obviously have instincts. You hit the right part of the knee, the leg goes up. However, there are a few steps missing from the argument if we want to argue for what you are arguing for. What I would not accept is that there are instincts that somehow structurally determine human existence. (ie when you try to make this a socially meaningful claim, it loses validity very quickly.) As a last note, there are a lot of things that we do 'instinctively' and are part of our 'second nature' that could be classified as ideology (within Althusser's use of the word) robert wood