[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 13:36:51 PDT 2008

Carrol,

Could you please stop saying "such and such should not be a left position," etc. and instead say something like "such and such would not be the best position to take, because..."

That is, just explain why something is desirable, good, or bad, or not. Not whether it properly constitutes being "left," or not. Especially since "the left" also, confusingly, doesn't exist to you, if I remember right.

John's notion that military and civilian disabilities ought to be assessed by the same criteria seems sensible to me. (Or should I say it sounds "properly leftist" to me?) Different standards for the warrior caste, who it seems we are supposed to treat with deference, aren't right.

Someone getting PTSD and thus becoming disabled from committing a war crime doesn't get much sympathy from me, in any event. Anyone assessed the levels of PTSD among Iraqis...?

-B.

Carrol Cox wrote:

"No MEANS TESTs for benefits should be an absolutely non-negotiable left demand. Anything else is dancing with the enemy."