[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jun 12 16:46:27 PDT 2008

Max writes:

> One could argue that if you're able to work, then you ought
> not to get disability payments ...

All the research I've seen says that if you become disabled in some way, especially if you don't eventually get "100%" recovered, you'll never make up the wages lost during the time you were out, presuming you don't go on to marry an heiress and/or become a Senator.

But back to your point: this is a drop in the bucket compared to the real issues.

I have noticed a propensity for people to get angry about someone who seems to have 'beat the system' in some way; this was the genesis of the 'welfare queen' mythology.

I say: if John McCain is a welfare queen, good for him.

/jordan