[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 12 21:20:29 PDT 2008

WD wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:53 PM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> I agree that civilian and military disability statuses
>> ought to be assessed similarly. Same with medical
>> care. The military ought to be what they are supposed
>> to be, the servants of us, the people. You know,
>> democracy. Not folks we stand in awe of as legends
>> among us, placed on pedestals high and mighty, and not
>> people to whom we must pay constant, nauseating
>> obeisance. This isn't Starship Troopers. Or some
>> Plato-type republic with a warrior caste that sits
>> atop us all. Or, at least, it shouldn't be.
>>

> The state should provide generous benefits to all people with
> disabilities. But I think they key difference between a disability
> that's acquired through bad luck and a disability that's acquired in
> the military is that the state is more complicit in the latter.
> Therefore the State should have to pay extra, somehow, for its
> culpability in military-related disabilities. Veterans' benefits are
> the most feasible avenue through which to extract that extra cost (at
> least in the future -- right now most veterans are still getting
> screwed).
> -WD

Don't you see the obvious error in your argument? The state is just as liable for a person injured in a workplace accident because they regulate workplace safety. The state needs to be hammered every time a worker in injured to drive home that point. A person injured on the highway has every right to hold the state accountable. The state builds the roads, licenses the vehicles, encourages the use of private automobiles over public transportation and they need to be hammered for their complicity in that. I could go on but I believe I've made my point. Everyone with a disability should be treated fairly and EQUALLY. As B stated, this isn't Starship Troopers with a warrior caste.

John Thornton