[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 20:40:09 PDT 2008

So, you totally missed when I said I know a retired USAF person who gets military disability (plus Social Security) decades after his retirement, when he got lung cancer, probably from his lifetime of smoking, which had nothing to do with his military service, which had ended 20 years prior?

How is that a disability "that's acquired through the military"? This person has a "Disabled Veteran" license plate, but his disability is not related to his military service. he got his disability after retiring from the military, but the military pays "full" disability to him.

-B.

WD wrote:

"The state should provide generous benefits to all people with disabilities. But I think they key difference between a disability that's acquired through bad luck and a disability that's acquired in the military is that the state is more complicit in the latter."