[lbo-talk] hetersex instinct

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Jun 13 06:38:16 PDT 2008

> That is correct, and not pedantic. We need a competent biologist or
> anthropologist on the list to bring some sanity to the discussion of
> instinct. Just before she unsubbed several years ago Maureen Anderson
> (off-list exchange) had, if I remember correctly, both expressed
> frustration with silly use of the term "instinct" on the list _and_
> reluctance to spend the time necessary to explain it. Even with birds it
> isn't as simple as it sounds. Chicago Robins fly south in the winter. So
> do Canadian robins, but for many of them, "south" is Chicago! Instinct
> can't explain such variations in behavior, which is one of the reasons
> most amateur references to it re human behavior are at best silly. (And
> it's very possible that my own reference to robins is off the wall!)

Maureen had some great commentary on this topic, but she wisely spent her energy on more rewarding things than educating LOB!

--

"Scientific definition

The term "instincts" has had a long and varied use in psychology. In the 1870's, Wilhelm Wundt established the first psychology laboratory. At that time, psychology was primarily a branch of philosophy, but behavior became increasingly examined within the framework of the scientific method. This method has come to dominate all branches of science. While use of the scientific method led to increasingly rigorous definition of terms, by the close of the 19th century most repeated behavior was considered instinctual. In a survey of the literature at that time, one researcher chronicled 4000 human instincts, meaning someone applied the label to any behavior that was repetitive. As research became more rigorous and terms better defined, instinct as an explanation for human behavior became less common. In a conference in 1960, chaired by Frank Beach, a pioneer in comparative psychology and attended by luminaries in the field, the term was restricted in its application. During the 60's and 70's, textbooks still contained some discussion of instincts in reference to human behavior. By the year 2000, a survey of the 12 best selling textbooks in Introductory Psychology revealed only one reference to instincts, and that was in regard to Freud's referral to the "id" instincts.

Any repeated behavior can be called "instinctual." As can any behavior for which there is a strong innate component. However, to distinguish behavior beyond the control of the organism from behavior that has a repetitive component we can turn to the book "Instinct"(1961) stemming from the 1960 conference. A number of criteria were established which distinguishes instinctual from other kinds of behavior. To be considered instinctual a behavior must a) be automatic, b) be irresistible, c) occur at some point in development, d) be triggered by some event in the environment, e) occur in every member of the species, f) be unmodifiable, and g) govern behavior for which the organism needs no training (although the organism may profit from experience and to that degree the behavior is modifiable). The absence of one or more of these criteria indicates that the behavior is not fully instinctual. Instincts do exist in insects and animals as can be seen in behaviors that can not be changed by learning. Psychologists do recognize that humans do have biological predispositions or behaviors that are easy to learn due to biological wiring, for example walking and talking.

If these criteria are used in a rigorous scientific manner, application of the term "instinct" cannot be used in reference to human behavior. When terms, such as mothering, territoriality, eating, mating, and so on, are used to denote human behavior they are seen to not meet the criteria listed above. In comparison to animal behavior such as hibernation, migration, nest building, mating and so on that are clearly instinctual, no human behavior meets the necessary criteria. And even in regard to animals, in many cases if the correct learning is stopped from occurring these instinctual behaviors disappear, suggesting that they are potent, but limited, biological predispostions. In the final analysis, under this definition, there are no human instincts." -- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws ('coz there's 5 million ways to kill a CEO)