[lbo-talk] heterosexuality?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jun 13 08:07:10 PDT 2008

Tahir Wood wrote:
> Can you point me to a corpus or any genuine linguistic study
> that shows 'heterosexuality' to have the meaning of an institution of
> the type you are claiming?
> Tahir

Seriously? Historians and sociologists have been studying the social construction of sexual identity for at least 40 years now. If you don't like Foucault, try out Gilbert Herdt, Ken Plummer, or David Halperin. (--And note that this social analysis does not imply a position in the Nature/nurture debate! All biologically determined traits must be embedded in social interactions to create social structure and processes. From the sociological standpoint, biological characteristics cannot explain any social facts, because it is always through social interactions that any social roles, statuses, groups, and institutions are created and sustained. --Thus the "social construction" of homosexuality and heterosexuality, regardless of the biological factors that influence individual sexual preferences.)

Miles