[lbo-talk] Cuba to abandon salary equality

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 17:20:26 PDT 2008

I just know word-of-mouth impressions from talking to people in Russia. From such things I gather that people were very unhappy with the policy (the Soviet policy, that is -- I don't know anything about how Cuba works) of establishing a flat pay ceiling. Nobody in the USSR was earning a lot of money, unless you were really, really high up in the elite or a criminal. And naturally, people who thought they were doing a good job/were more talented/smarter/more committed or in some other sense more deserving than other people were upset that they were earning approximately the same as Lazy Alcoholic Joe who always comes into work an hour late and spends half his day sleeping off his hangover in the storeroom. And every enterprise had a Lazy Alcoholic Joe.