[lbo-talk] the problem with Webb

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:45:23 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> By the way, Michael Lind is brutal about the Scots-Irish in his book
> on Texas. He thinks they're a bunch of land-stealing con men.

I realize I'm way over quota, so this will be my last post for the evening, but aside from the fact that you're doing a fine job illustrating the basis for Webb's "resentment," doesn't it pain you, however slightly, to stoop to ethnic denigration?

Is Henwood an English name?

Are you, perchance, of the ethnicity whose political leadership imparted the Scotch-Irish's bad habits by deploying them as shock troops in northern Ireland, so their descendants would enjoy a convenient target for politically-correct bigotry?