[lbo-talk] the problem with Webb

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 14 11:26:03 PDT 2008

MICHAEL YATES wrote:

> If Webb were contemplating a true movement of poor people and an alliance of white, black, and brown,
> he would be admirable. But he is not and will not. I think that for Obama to take him as a VP would
> signal something very cynical about Obama.

Not really; it would merely be the 10,000th confirmation of what we already knew before we even knew he existed: He is a DP candidate for President. No more need be said. With utter confidence I can say the same of the DP candidates in 2012, 2016, & 2020.

Quips aside, I don't think we should characterize DP leadership as cynical, cowardly, incompetent, etc; that implies there might be other policies followed by a DP administration. But I think the DP leaders simply are fully committed to the rule of capital and place as their first priority the frustration of any mass movements outside the DP/RP domain. In late years that means they have often had to lose elections in service of their core principles. Like Nixon in 1960,Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004 were not about to do anything that would cast doubt on the sanctity of u.s. electoral politics, and would sacrifice the presidency in service to that principle. They (all three) were highly principled and courageous men. They were also criminals (as is Obama) but that is another question.

Carrol