[lbo-talk] MGS4

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jun 14 16:38:16 PDT 2008

My copy of "Metal Gear Solid 4" finally arrived, and I popped it into the PS3. Then there was this whooshing sound.

It was the sound of the roof being blown off the 21st century.

I was expecting great things from MGS4, and I'm delighted to report that Hideo Kojima's band of pirate programmers delivered.

I've only reached Act 2 (there are five in all) and I've already run out of superlative adjectives to describe it. Everything about this game is jawdropping -- even the installation screen is a work of art. Youtube trailers don't do it justice -- the high-definition visuals and cut-scenes have set a new standard for game aesthetics. The last time I felt this way about a videogame was the majestic, awe-inspiring "Final Fantasy 12", which did for the role-playing genre what MGS4 does for the stealth espionage genre. (In fact, I'm already seeing fascinating links between the two games...)

I won't spoil any of the plot twists, but let's just say the first two acts involve rebellions against neocolonialism in the Middle East and Latin America. Onwards!

-- DRR