[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 15 17:04:05 PDT 2008

John Thornton wrote:

> Because I didn't for one moment truly imagine you really gave greater
> credibility to Air Force Magazine over the writings of a Spanish
> Psychologists and wished to demonstrate the absurdity of that position
> to anyone else who imagines that McCain's disability is proved to be the
> result of torture.
> This cannot be known with any certainty in spite of what some have posted.

My view of any disability claim (regardless of the person or the reason given) is that it ought to be valid unless proven invalid beyond any doubt, reasonable or unreasonable. This is the only standard which will provide decent services for those who are really disabled.

So McCain should get his pension or whatever; to deny it on special circumstances or his character is cruel to the 100s of thousands who need such aid. It is really piggish to make a fuss about some particular case. In my mind it discredits the political judgment of those who do quibble over it.

Now as to the matter of torture. Rare is the prison system in which some prisoners get handled roughly. Clearly it is more dangerous to live in a state prison in the U.S. than it was to live in the Hotel Hilton, but undoubtedly guards in the latter on various occasions misused their power. That or injuries in landing or received from those who captured him probably caused damage to McCain.

That systemati torture occured there is almost certainly false, and the sources denying it are much much more reliable than Air Force Magazine or McCain personally. The conditions under which most Vietnamese (and especially NVA or NLF personnel) lived ordinarily would have struck many an American as deliberate torture, so at times charges of torture could be both sincere and false.

Carrol