[lbo-talk] Identity / heterosexuality

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jun 17 08:00:02 PDT 2008

Tahir Wood wrote:
> --Thus the "social construction" of
> homosexuality and heterosexuality, regardless of the biological factors
>
> that influence individual sexual preferences.)
>
> Tahir: Er, excuse me? "Society" is some agency that just "constructs"
> these identities out of thin air. And it does this "regardless" of
> biological factors? What utter philosophical vacuity. Actually, just
> typical sociology.
As I noted repeatedly, it is not some philosophical abstraction "society" that creates these social facts. Rather, all aspects of social structure--including the social statuses "gay" and "straight" and the roles linked to those statuses--are created and sustained by ongoing social interactions. Social interactions include such activities as people talking to family members, going out on a date, attending church, and fucking. Concrete enough for you?

Miles