[lbo-talk] reminder: NYC Obama event

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 18 05:04:21 PDT 2008

A People's President?: Obama and the Left

Thursday, June 19 7:30 pm

Ta-Nehisi Coates, Doug Henwood, Jo-Ann Mort, Betsy Reed, Gary Younge & Others TBA

The Democratic Party may have unified behind Barack Obama's presidential bid, but the American left has not. Some progressives argue that we should largely silence our concerns about Obama's policy shortcomings, from Israel and Iraq to the economy and healthcare, at least until he gets elected. Others contend that his weakness on these and other issues is simply unforgiveable, and that the left should not be seen in such company. And yet a third group insists that though we should do so without illusions, critically supporting Barack's presidential bid opens opportunities for building progressive politics and perhaps even pulling the candidate in our direction.

...and if you don't leave either more confused or more outraged than you were before, we will have failed!

Our customary panel of eloquent and erudite experts will cover the spectrum of left attitudes towards Obama. We can't promise to resolve the debate. But we hope to make the issues at stake a little clearer, while informing, and even entertaining, along the way.

Refreshments will be served

Panelists include: Ta-Nehisi Coates, author of The Beautiful Struggle and former staff writer for the Village Voice and Time magazine, Atlantic Monthly, Village Voice; Doug Henwood, Left Business Observer; Betsy Reed, The Nation; Gary Younge, The Guardian/The Nation; and others to be announced. Jo-Ann Mort, CEO, Change Communications and contributor to the Prospect magazine

Sliding scale: $6/$10/$15 Free for Brecht Forum Subscribers

-----

Brecht Forum 451 West Street (between Bank & Bethune Streets, New York, NY 10014 Phone: (212) 242-4201 - Email: brechtforum at brechtforum.org