[lbo-talk] Chuck's Cassirer posts

Eubulides prince.plumples at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 07:46:17 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Charles A. Grimes wrote:
>> My general answer is that almost nobody in antro, soc, pysch,
>> philos, linguistics... bio look outside themselves for answers. For
>> example where do ordering systems originate? You ask each of these
>> fields and they give you a different answer. Nobody seems to remember
>> that the natural and physical worlds are highly ordered places long
>> before we came along. It might be a good idea to look at the world,
>> rather than inside the foundations of these fields...
>>
> Or as Aristotle put it, "Nature _is_ order."
>
> Joanna

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2003/2003-April/009477.html

"Chaos was born first and after her came Gaia the broad breasted, the firm seat of all the immortals who hold the peaks of snowy Olympos, and misty Tartaros in the depths of broad-pathed earth and Eros, the fairest of the deathless gods; he unstrings the limbs and subdues both mind and sensible thought in the breasts of all gods and all men" [ Hesiod, Theogony Verses 116-122, Athanassakis' translation]

http://www.springerlink.com/content/rj965x6117714201/

Randomness and perceived-randomness in evolutionary biology Journal Synthese William C. Wimsatt Committee on the Conceptual Foundations of Science, University of Chicago, USA

http://xoomer.alice.it/baldazzi69/papers/mermin_moon.pdf

Is the Moon There When Nobody Looks? Reality and the quantum theory http://people.ccmr.cornell.edu/~mermin/homepage/ndm.html

Onward Megarians, woot woot!