[lbo-talk] Chuck's Cassirer posts

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Thu Jun 19 04:17:44 PDT 2008

Robert Wood quoted Spinoza:

> This because, as we have said already, the ignorant believe that
> all things have been made on their account, and they say that the
> nature of some thing is good or bad, healthy or putrid or corrupt,
> in accordance with the way in which they are affected by it."

Spinoza makes interpretive claims about reality and experience that disconnect the latter from the former (e.g. experience of good and bad is not experience of anything objectively real because reality as it is in itself is meaningless).

As a logical matter, this makes reality an unknowable thing-in- itself, i.e. makes it impossible to ground the interpretive claims about reality and experience.

Given this, how can he know what "the ignorant believe"?

Also, even assuming he can know this, how can he know that they are "ignorant," i.e. how can he know that what they believe about reality and their experience is false, while what he believes is true?

Ted