[lbo-talk] Chuck's Cassirer posts

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Jun 19 08:24:25 PDT 2008

Michael Pollak wrote:
>> Well, the major pentatonic scale does not include the fourth; the
>> locrian scale does not include the fifth; the Iwato (Japanese) scale
>> does not include the fifth; the whole tone scale does not include the
>> fourth or the fifth.
>>

> We're talking about two different things. You're talking about modes
> here, about subgroups of a scale. It's true they are often called scales.
> But clearly they all by definition leave out notes. And you don't have to
> go that far to find something without the fifth; you can find it the
> common and overused blues scale.

No, the blues scale has the fifth.

> But I'm talking about the complete set of tones that divide up and
> constitute the entirety of an octave, like the pentatonic, the diatonic,
> the chromatic etc -- all of which include the fourth, fifth and octave.

No, the pentatonic does not include the fourth. True, the diatonic and chromatic scales include the fourth and fifth. However, they are a "drop in the ocean" of the vast panopoly of musical scales that people around the world use to make music. Also, I'm not following your logic about "the complete set of tones that divide up" the octave. Yes, the pentatonic scale does that, but so do the scales and modes I mentioned. The point I'm trying to make here is that there are many, many ways to divide up the octave, using 5, 7, 12, 16, and (with microtonal music) as many as 43 tones. They are all complete sets of tones that divide up an octave, and no one of them is more "natural" than the others.
> And I believe that is true of the Indian and Arab scales even though they
> divide the octave into more than 12 units. For one thing, the Harmonic
> Minor, which includes the fourth and fifth of its corresponding major
> scale, is sometimes called the Mohameddan scale because it corresponds to
> a widely used Arabic maqam. So while there are more notes in the Arabic
> scale (which comes out as Ivesian quarter tones when you render them on
> Western instruments), it seems these two tones have to be in the complete
> set.

Sure, you can find some Arab scales that include the fourth and fifth; however, you can find others that do not. There's nothing special and universal about what Western music calls the fourth and fifth.

Miles