[lbo-talk] Chuck's Cassirer posts (origin of culture)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Fri Jun 20 16:34:32 PDT 2008

A brief comment on this section of the conversation. The difficulty with the word 'structuralism' is that it was a category placed on a number of projects from the outside. Foucault, Derrida, Althusser, Levi-Strauss, etc all were challenging dominant modes of French thinking at the time (which tended towards existentialism/phenomenology) but it would be difficult to find an internal coherence to their projects beyond this opposition. The truth is that the only one that can be accurately described as a 'structuralist' is probably Levi-Strauss, although Althusser occasionally uses some of the language, and the structural dimension of the ISAs article is its most problematic aspect. The truth is that most of the individuals involved in this so-called project had major disagreements and conceptual difference.

The same problem exists with most of the categories tossed around by the haters, er, critics :) such as 'postmodernism' (for the real weirdness read Perry Anderson's book on the topic) and even 'post-structuralism.' I'll get to the Foucault mistake later on....

robert wood

P.S. It's interesting that according to Tahir's categorization, Althusser is no longer in the Marxist camp, perhaps it was always the PPSF rather than the PCF.