[lbo-talk] black primary turnout

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 22 08:03:06 PDT 2008

=========================================== This is interesting, because I've noticed many on the left who hitherto wouldn't touch the Democrats with a 10 foot pole have been justifying their unusally positive view of the Obama campaign on grounds that it represents some kind of black nationalist upsurge. Joaquin Bustelo over on Marxmail has been sounding this note for quite some time. But the poll indicates that blacks have been turning out in unprecedented numbers for largely same reasons as everyone else - extraordinary disgust with Bush and with the direction in which he's taken the US. Obama has become a repository of this hoped-for change such that his waffling and backsliding on key issues are ignored or disregarded by many of his supporters who have a quasi-religious need to believe in him. This seems to be especially pronounced among younger first-time voters, whom he's attracted in droves. This isn't a new phenomenon in history, especially when social movements are being born. No one can predict whether an Obama presidency will dishearten or infuriate these new millions, turn them away from or deepen their initial political engagement.